The EMS/EWM Survey Lectures 2016The association European Women in Mathematics (EWM), jointly with the EMS Women in Mathematics Committee, is organizing an event during the 7ECM 2016 in Berlin in. This special event aims at celebrating and giving prominence to female mathematics of excellence in Europe. EWM is an international association of women working in the field of mathematics in Europe. Founded in 1986, EWM has about 400 members and coordinators in over thirty countries. This event follows similar ones held during the 5th and 6th ECM.
Dates and venueSunday, July 17, 2016 starting at 9:00
Wednesday, July 20, 2016 from 16:30 to 19:00
at Technische Universität Berlin
Invited Speakers (confirmed)
- Fanny Kassel, CNRS and Université de Lille, Homogeneous Spaces, Lie Groups, Geometry and Dynamics
- Hannah Markwig, Universität des Saarlandes, Tropical Geometry
- Carola Bibiane Schönlieb, University of Cambridge, Image segmentation, PDE, Numerical Analysis
- Britta Späth,Technische Universität Kaiserslautern, Representation Theory
- Sarah Zerbes, University College London, Number Theory
ProgramSunday July 17, 2016
- Five lectures à 50 minutes in a survey/colloquium style from 9:00 until 15:30
The titles and abstracts for the lectures can be found here.
- Afterwards the EWM general assembly will be held from 16:00 until 18:00
16:30-18:00 in Room H0104 (main building)
- Salutes by the EMS President, Pavel Exner and the Chair of the 7ECM Local Organizing Committee, Volker Mehrmann, to the community of European Women in Mathematics.
- A public talk with discussion on “Chaotic routes that shaped the universe: a history of some outstanding women scientists” by Alessandra Celletti (University of Roma Tor Vergata).
- Opening of the Exhibition: Women of Mathematics throughout Europe. A gallery of portraits. With a musical introduction and welcome speeches.
RegistrationWe kindly ask you to register in advance. The registration is of course free of charge.
CommitteesThe joint EMS/EWM Scientific Committee is composed by the following mathematicians
- Christine Bessenrodt (Hannover, Germany)
- Alessandra Celletti (Rome, Italy)
- Cornelia Drutu (Oxford, UK, Chair of the Scientific Committee)
- Sara van de Geer (Zürich, Switzerland)
- Antonella Grassi (U Penn, USA)
- Ursula Hamenstaedt (Bonn, Germany)
- Svetlana Jitomirskaya (UCI, USA)
- Dusa McDuff (Stony Brook, USA)
- Ragni Piene (Oslo, Norway)
- Sylvia Serfaty (Paris, France)
- Agata Smoktunowicz (Edinburgh, Scotland)
- Ulrike Tillmann (Oxford, UK)
- Angela Pistoia, University of Rome, Italy
- Marie-Françoise Roy, University of Rennes, France
- Susanna Terracini, University of Torino, Italy, EWM Convener and Chair of the EWM Organizing Committee (susanna punkt terracini aet unito punkt it).